Rye Buildings and Defences

St Anthony of Padua and the Sedley Family

St Anthony of Padua and the Sedley Family

Thanks to John Kilroy and Edwin Gibson for much of the information. This is one aspect of the history of the Catholic Church, St Anthony of Padua, on Watchbell Street. The house in which the Marquis and his daughter lived, one of the most interesting, best restored and admired in Rye, is still called St Anthony … read more …

First posted in Local History Research, Rye Buildings and Defences on 14th August 2010
Last updated: 3rd December 2012
Tags: ,



Rye’s Gates and Walls

Rye’s Gates and Walls

The Landgate Tower By the early 14th century, Rye was one of the most important ports on the South Coast, and with the start of the Hundred Years War with France, was very vulnerable to attack by raiding French warships. In 1339 the French attacked the town, and burnt 52 houses and a mill. It … read more …

First posted in Rye Buildings and Defences on 13th December 2009
Last updated: 7th December 2012
Tags: , ,



Town Hall

Town Hall

With acknowledgement to L A Vidler, G S Bagley, G Mayhew and Jo Kirkham A Handsome Georgian Building of Rye The Town Hall is on the site of at least three earlier Court Halls. The first was burnt to the ground during the French attack of 1377. Its replacement was rebuilt between 1514 and early … read more …

First posted in Rye Buildings and Defences on 16th November 2009
Last updated: 28th November 2012
Tags: , , ,



Rye Parish Church

Rye Parish Church

With particular thanks to Jo Kirkham, Welcome to St Mary the Virgin Rye: 1289-1989 ( Parish Church Council of St Mary the Virgin, Rye).  The Early Years The hill on which Rye stands has been dominated by the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin for nearly 900 years as many an artist has shown. The … read more …

First posted in Featured, Rye Buildings and Defences on 3rd November 2009
Last updated: 23rd May 2013
Tags: , , , , , ,



The Jeake Family and their Rye Residences

The Jeake Family and their Rye Residences

The First Jeakes of Rye: Of Huguenot origin, the family’s first settler in Rye appears to have been a late 16th-century merchant, William Jeaque (a possible corruption of Jacques). His son Henry set up a bakery in the High Street and married a girl from Peasmarsh. Their son, first recorded as Sammewell but later as … read more …

First posted in Literary and Artistic Rye, Notable People, Rye Buildings and Defences, Rye Streets, Rye Town History, Rye Trades and Industries on 1st November 2009
Last updated: 20th April 2017
Tags: , , , , ,



The Monastery

The Monastery

Augustinian Friary (The Monastery) In 1364, Benedict and Henry Zely, together with William Taillour, the owners of two acres of land on the East Cliff, where the sea had already destroyed some houses, gave permission to the Prior Provincial and the Friars of St. Augustine, to build an Oratory and Manse for their order. These … read more …

First posted in Rye Buildings and Defences on 21st August 2009
Last updated: 28th November 2012
Tags: , ,



Ypres Tower Story

Ypres Tower Story

See also the History of Rye Castle Museum.  And if you click on WACOR at right you will find plenty about the Women’s Tower Project.  When was it built? Nobody is quite sure when Ypres Tower was built. It may have been part of a royal castle built sometime between 1230 and 1250, during the … read more …

First posted in Featured, Rye Buildings and Defences, Ypres Tower Posts on 16th February 2009
Last updated: 2nd July 2014
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,



Old Police Station

Old Police Station

by Ann Harvey Police Force beginnings Rye Borough Police Force came into being in 1838. The Police Station was in a small cottage adjacent to the Ypres tower. The force consisted of two men, a Superintendent and a Police Constable. The Ypres Tower had three cells and a mortuary. The Sussex bonfire tradition, as in … read more …

First posted in Rye Buildings and Defences on 6th December 2008
Last updated: 6th December 2012