French raid 1377

The Monastery

The Monastery

Augustinian Friary (The Monastery) In 1364, Benedict and Henry Zely, together with William Taillour, the owners of two acres of land on the East Cliff, where the sea had already destroyed some houses, gave permission to the Prior Provincial and the Friars of St. Augustine, to build an Oratory and Manse for their order. These … read more …

First posted in Rye Buildings and Defences on 21st August 2009
Last updated: 28th November 2012
Tags: , ,



History of Rye’s Harbour

History of Rye’s Harbour

NB: Rye is approximately two miles from the sea, at the confluence of three rivers–the Rother, the Tillingham and the Brede.  In these articles ‘Rye’s harbour’ refers to the waterways immediately surrounding the town and should not be confused with the community of  Rye Harbour established closer to the sea in the early 19th century. … read more …

First posted in Rye's Harbour on 2nd February 2009
Last updated: 7th December 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,